Friday, April 27, 2012

nairboman's insights #5 - I Gotta Be Me

It has been a tumultuous time lately. As time draws near to when I release my music for the first time publicly next month on CDbaby, Itunes, and Amazon, I have noticed myself slipping a little bit in the discipline department. I have spent a little less time marketing and a little bit more time ruminating. The truth is that I am not very fond of sitting in front of a computer hours on end trying to convince people to listen to and invest in my music. It's not that I don't think my music isn't worth it: I definitely do. In fact, I have such faith in the quality of my music that I am convinced that there is a good-size audience out there for it made up of people who are genuinely interested in music that seeks to be innovative. It's the fact that as an artist, I'm no businessman and have very little desire to be. Then again, I always kinda knew when the time came that my focus would turn to getting help from folks in my industry, rather than trying to figure out the ins and outs of marketing all by myself and from a few websites and books. The truth is that after my music is published next month, I will put a considerable amount of effort into trying to procure the services of a manager and a record company, preferably an independent one. Also, I want to contact as many local, state, national, and international similar artists, DJ's, radio stations(online and off), podcasters, journalists, and bloggers that can help. It's a big, wide world out there and spending six hours a day pasted in front of a computer screen posting stuff on social networks is not how I wanna spend most of my working time anymore, out of necessity for both my career and my sanity. I realize that I need to spend time marketing online as an independent artist, but my priorities have to shift a little to fit my needs and personality. I would also like to start playing live this summer from a laptop. The music I am releasing is perfect for clubs and events. Not to mention local marketing - I have a bunch of ideas for that: business cards, bumper stickers, playing my music from a boom box in public places, flyers, free sample CD's. I even have an idea for a sign in my front yard. Wish me luck, everyone. nairboman marketing Phase 2. My Band Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment