Saturday, April 28, 2012

I Gotta Be Me #2 - Thoughts on Music

Last week, I said I had decided to review only Electronic Music albums, mainly for marketing purposes, but  after trying that and some serious consideration, I have decided that it just doesn't feel right. It almost feels like selling out, in a way. I have no problems selling my music, as long as it done with honesty and integrity, but trying to pretend I only listen to Electronic Music simply because it is the genre I produce music in just doesn't seem ethical to me. I love all kinds of music and I want to express that fact in my reviews. By only reviewing Electronic Music, I actually may have eventually ended up with more readers that listen almost exclusively to that genre, but they would be very little like me, even though I am a thoroughly dedicated Electronic Musician. In my music writing, I want to impress on people the importance of loving music itself as an art form and not to get too caught up in the wobbly dynamics of genre. If anything, I want to encourage music listeners to keep as  open a mind  as possible, not only in terms of genre, but with many other aspects of music that mainstream music listeners often get hung up on, such as popularity, era, length, and instrumental music. From now on, my reviews will consist of music that I like, regardless of genre or any other generalized concepts. Music is one of the most mysterious, magical, invigorating, types of art there is. To limit its importance by only listening to mainly one genre or only what you hear played on the radio or TV is not only doing yourself a disservice, but the culture at large. Music is the sound of humanity and humanity comes in many different styles and flavors. Enjoy as many of them as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment