Friday, April 6, 2012

nairboman's insights #2


Above is a video of mine I made a few months ago for my track Acid Trax. The video is minimalist in style and so is the song, really. I didn't have a lot of resources at the time to make a video with any kind of budget. This one was simply made with a photograph I took of myself and then my girlfriend Heather Campbell used a graphics program online to change it to black and white/distorted and we used windows movie maker to make the video of it. It is definitely my goal to make higher quality videos in the future, but I think the videos I made(with my gf's help) are kind of hypnotic in and of themselves. All 5 of them can be viewed here.

I wish I had more to say about my marketing endeavors right now, but the fact is that it has all been internet marketing so far and internet marketing isn't the most exciting thing to talk about. It's basically making profiles and adding content to sites that can help you spread the word about your art. I recently ordered a book by the famous music and book marketing guru Bob Baker about internet marketing. I have been using a book by Catherine Parker about social media marketing and it has been very helpful as well, but I'm hoping that Baker's book will be even more helpful considering it is specifically for music marketing.

Of course, I also wanna do local marketing this month including business cards, flyers, and playing music for folks in public areas, but being low on money might become a problem, though I'm hoping not. Luckily, these things on my list to do are pretty cheap. In May, when my music is finally published through CDbaby, I also want to make it a point to contact more people in the industry, such as artists, managers, D.J.'s, record companies, and possible benefactors(volunteer personal financiers). The fact of the matter is that while I like marketing my music better than any job I've had before(because I confidently believe in my music's value), I would rather be doing creative work and accordingly, would rather someone else do most of the marketing work, so hopefully I can get a manager to help do this eventually, so I can concentrate on more creative endeavors. If you have any suggestions about marketing or any of the things I mention, please leave a comment. I welcome them.

No comments:

Post a Comment