Friday, May 4, 2012

nairboman's insights #6 - Almost Here (We Go...)

I am planning on publishing my Electronic Music debut double album Here We Go... on CDbaby next week and they will also send it to Itunes, Amazon, and many other outlets. After that for a week or two, I will undoubtedly do a lot of internet and local marketing for it, but following that, as I have stated before, I will put just as much time and effort into finding help from within the music business itself as I do self-marketing, particularly from a manager and/or record company, as I find the more marketing I do, the less I like it, really. If it were feasible for me to remain an independent musician without management, I would. Unfortunately, that would mean having a full time job marketing myself and that isn't necessarily my idea of a good time and what's the point of working at a job for very long, if you aren't enjoying yourself. I would end up spending much more time selling my music than actually making it. Having a manager and/or record company would free up my time and relieve some stress. Of course, I do know that choosing a manager and/or record company is serious business. You don't just sign the first contract presented you, however enthusiastic you might be to. It's still a business and with contracts at least, you most definitely have to treat it as such. I would assume the first thing to do is to make sure they actually like your music and not simply want to use it only for profit. Secondly, I would want near-full control over what I choose to do with my "image" and my music. I will always want an "image" that reflects the real me, namely a combination of eccentricity, humor, and individualism, with touches of gentleness and playfulness. Also, I wouldn't want anyone to ever tell me what kind of music to make. Advice is one thing, demands quite another. And I don't wanna be treated like a slave. I will do or not do what I want, regardless of what they would like. If I sign a contract and fully understand the contract, I will abide by it, but If I feel like I am ever being used unfairly (ie deceived or lied to), I might just break a contract, even if it loses me money. I have no ambitions to be rich but if it happens, I will be giving a lot away to less fortunate people. I am in this mostly for the art. If somebody wants to help me with the business side of it, I would be very grateful and appreciative. But that does not mean submissive. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment